If you've ever attended a yoga class in the West, you've most likely encountered Namaste. However, what I've found is that not everyone really understands why we say it or what it means. In Western yoga classes it's common for the teacher to end class with it. In India and Nepal Namaste is a common greeting or salutation. Namaste literally translates to 'bow me you' or 'I bow to you'.
In both the West and the East, Namaste is usually accompanied by a slight bow of the head with the eyes closed and the hands pressed together in front of the heart-center in Anjali Mudra. In India, the gesture alone signifies Namaste and the word is usually left unsaid.
Ideally in our yoga classes, Namaste should be practiced at both the beginning and end. I hadn't really given it much thought until now, but it does usually happen at both the beginning and end of my classes. In the beginning it's unspoken but we bring our hands together at our heart-centers with our eyes closed and usually set a sankalpa or intention. In the beginning of class I see it more as a simple meditation to identify what quality or qualities you want to cultivate on your mat.
At the end of class, we bring our hands together with eyes closed again to recall the intention set at the beginning of class. After that intention is remembered and you prepare to step off your mat, the teacher usually asks the students to bow their heads towards their hearts and together the class speaks Namaste.
One of my teachers includes her interpretation of Namaste before actually ending class with it. I think that's a great idea because so many students don't know or understand the meaning of the word. Although the literal translation is quite simple, I've noticed many teachers make it their own. I really connect with what one of my teachers says, 'the light within me bows to the light within each and every one of you and every living being'. I think of it, too, as a thank you. The teacher thanking his/her students for coming to class and the students thanking the teacher for class.
Friday, April 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment