Abhyasa is the subject of Yoga Sutra 1.13 which states, ‘Abhyasa or practice means choosing, applying the effort, and doing those actions that bring a stable and tranquil state (sthitau)’. There are actually two types of ‘practices’ addressed in the yoga sutras – abhyasa and sadhana. Abhyasa is a more general practice; whereas sadhana is more specific. According to Swamij.com, ‘[abhyasa] means choosing the wiser of alternative courses of action. It means making decisions on the basis of what will bring greater tranquility or peace of mind’.
When I think of abhyasa and how I apply it to my life, I think of so many different things – the thoughts I have, which then spur the actions I take and words I speak, and the yoga practice I’ve cultivated – and how they all positively or negatively affect my path towards a greater peace of mind.
I find it most difficult to refrain from negative thoughts, actions, and words when I'm driving to and from work. I get really worked up in traffic. It's frustrating to me because I feel like it shouldn't be so hard to control my thoughts and actions but, for some reason, traffic is my trigger. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'd rather be anywhere but my car, especially now that the weather is starting to get nicer, but my challenge is to accept the fact that I have a commute and I shouldn't let it bother me so much.
I've been trying to find ways or practices to calm my thoughts and actions en route to and from the office and I think the most successful have been listening to my favorite talk radio in the morning (they're really hilarious if I actually take the time to listen to what they're saying instead of getting angry with the car in front of me) and then practicing my yoga class plans in my mind in the evening. And when neither of these work, I just take a deep breath and remind myself that getting angry isn't going to help anything so what's the use in getting worked up.
Eventually I hope I can just get in the car and not let traffic bug me so much, but for now, these practices help me to stay centered and calm instead of lashing out at the other drivers on the road, loosing my tranquility of mind.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment