I'm finally feeling 'moved in' to my new apartment. My mom and I are getting pretty good at packing and unpacking boxes in record time, though I do hope this is the last time I move for at least two years! The best part so far is all those things I thought would so greatly miss about my old apartment haven't even surfaced. I can honestly say I really like this apartment. All of my stuff has a place and my pictures look great on the walls (thanks, Dad!), and, to put it simply, it just feels right.
Even though everything seems to be falling into place, I'm still making a conscious effort to ensure my root chakra, or muladhara, is in balance. As I mentioned before, this can get most out of whack from situations that disrupt our sense of security or our sense of feeling grounded. Traveling, financial issues, a busy mind, and moving are some of the culprits that can affect our root chakra.
So, how am I going to do this? I'm going to make an effort to do supta baddha konasana before bed each night - it's a restorative pose that allows you to reconnect with the earth. I also think having a routine helps me, at least, feel more grounded, more connected. In my yoga classes, I'm also going to focus on my feet. Spreading my toes, stretching my arches (the dreaded broken toe pose), and when standing, pressing down through all four corners of my feet to create a better connection with the earth. And hopefully I'll carry that forward into my daily life - noticing how I'm standing and feeling the earth beneath my feet - and continue to feel as though this new place is 'home'.
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think my root must be a mess.
ReplyDeleteAny recommendations where I might learn supta baddha konasana please?
Definitely! Here's the Yoga Journal link: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/663
ReplyDeleteI'd also recommend folding some blankets (or if you have a bolster) and placing them under your back/spine lengthwise (so from the base of your spine to right below your neck) like this picture: http://elsieyogakula.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/supported-supta-baddha-konasana.jpg
If your knees don't touch the ground it might feel good to put pillows or cushions - whatever you have available underneath them (like in the YJ link).
And then just make sure your forehead is higher than your chin (roll up a blanket or put a thin pillow under your head) and breathe :).