I know it's morning - I wanted to post this last night but that didn't happen. I've always thought I was a morning yoga person mainly because I'm a morning person. Up at 6 I'm my most productive between 6:30 AM and 3:00 PM. After that, I swear my brain turns off. But last night I decided to try an evening yoga class and by evening I do mean evening - it was from 8-9:30.
And I'm really glad I mustered up the energy to get to class (I love my new location - it only takes me 10 minutes to get to the studio)! I swear, despite my love for yoga, getting there is still sometimes the biggest hurdle especially later in the day (must be when my kapha dosha is most present). When class started, it was still light but as the class progressed, night fell and it was so peaceful. I remember thinking to myself, 'why haven't I done this before?' The lights in the studio were off and even though I live in a big city and can see the Sears Tower (sorry, it will always be Sears in my mind) out of one of the studio windows, I felt transported to another place, like it was me alone under the night sky and what a beautiful way to practice yoga. I think the only lesson I learned was it probably wasn't the best idea to do two rounds of urdhva dhanurasana at 9 PM - I forgot how energizing that pose can be (I had a hard time falling asleep at the hour I wanted to).
I don't know how often I'll step out of the 'morning person' routine (despite my later bedtime, I was up and at 'em at 6 again this morning), but I'm glad I did last night. It was not only a great experience, but also yoga has this eerie way of knowing what I need to hear and that was definitely true last night (more on that later as I search for the passage my teacher read).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment