I never really thought of myself as a 'talker' but I think I've turned into one over time. I like to talk to people, tell stories, share tid-bits, but I think in the process I've lost some of my listening skills. I used to think of myself as a good listener but lately I've noticed I might not be listening as well as I should or as I'd like. The other day I realized that, instead of listening to what someone had to say, I was thinking of what to say next, completely missing what the person was saying to me.
We're constantly thinking our on feet, trying to get to the next level, and I think when we fall into this trap, we stop listening and even hearing what other people are saying. And that's such a shame because we all have such beautiful things to share.
I do my best listening at the beginning and end of my yoga classes. I've managed to figure out how to devote 90 minutes to listen to my body and to listen to my teacher, noticing what thoughts arise but letting them pass without judgment. I'm able to be in the moment without distractions.
Now, I need to figure out how to apply that to my daily life. I need to take more time to hear and to listen to what those around me have to say instead of jumping right in with my story or my advice. I have a feeling that by doing this my life will be that much more enjoyable and fulfilling.
"The reason why so few people are agreeable in conversation is that each is thinking more about what he intends to say than about what others are saying, and we never listen when we are eager to speak."
- Francois La Rochefoucauld
Friday, May 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment