Friday, May 21, 2010

The First Chakra, The Root Chakra

The word chakra translates to wheel or vortex. Chakras are also known as energy centers and it's believed there are seven major chakras in the subtle body. They're not physical, however, they interact with the physical body through two major vehicles, the endocrine system and the nervous system. Each chakra is associated with one of the seven endocrine glands and also with a group of nerves called a plexus. Thus, each chakra can be associated with particular parts of the body and particular functions within the body controlled by the associated plexus or endocrine gland.

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about the first chakra, the root chakra or Muladhara in Sanskrit. It's located at the base of the spine at the tailbone in back and the pubic bone in front. Its associated glands are the adrenal glands. These glands are responsible for manufacturing the “fight or flight” hormone, adrenaline, which is stimulated by extreme emotions such as fear, anger or panic. The root chakra holds the basic needs for survival, security, and safety. It's also our connection to the earth, to feeling grounded in our lives. Each of the chakras has an associated color and the root chakra's is red.

When the root chakra is balanced you feel grounded, centered, and you're able to live in the moment. You feel connected to yourself and to those around you. For the most part, things are working out in your life, but even if there are areas that need work, you have the confidence that everything will work out. You're also more likely to want to take care of yourself - physically, mentally, and spiritually.

When the root chakra is out of balance you don't feel grounded or safe. You might feel disconnected, without roots, and alienated from others. A lot of times it's hard to muster the energy to do what needs to be done to take care of yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually. In our particular climate, there are a lot of events that can throw the root chakra out of balance - financial difficulties, job loss, and moving - just to name a few.

I think I've been thinking about the root chakra as of late because it's that time again - moving time. Not only is the root chakra associated with survival, security, and safety, but it's also associated with feeling as though we have a place to call home. And though I know I'm always welcome at my parents' home, I haven't really had a chance to create a home that's lasted more than a year on my own. I've moved every year since I graduated from high school and I'm really not looking forward to this move. I've noticed tightness in my low back and it's been harder than usual to motivate myself to get moving.

But, I've decided to make the choice to be open to this move instead of frustrated and depressed. As much as I love where I am, I know I'll be able to make a great home out of my new place. It's a time to clean out the closets, the drawers, and the cabinets and get rid of those things I no longer need. It's an opportunity to get to know a new neighborhood and see if there's any other way to set up my furniture :). And, most importantly, there will be screens on all my windows which will be heaven for Sophie and Henry, my cats!

On days when I wake up and just can't stomach the thought of moving again, I remember these positive things and it makes it less daunting of a task. Now that I've been able to look at my impending move with a more open mind, I've had more energy and find I'm taking better care of myself. I think I'm moving closer to being more in balance and more grounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by 2008

Back to TOP