My life is go, go, go and it's because I make it that way. So, I really can't complain but lately I've been noticing I could use a little more down time or maybe I just need to have a different mind-set. Since my life is so go, go, go maybe I just need to remember to be in each moment as the moment is happening.
For me, this is easiest when I'm practicing yoga, which isn't surprising since yoga is all about learning how to slow down and enjoy each moment. However, it wasn't always so easy for me to be in each asana or pose. When I first began practicing my mind would wander - I'd be creating to-do lists, passing judgment on whatever might have happened during my work day, and thinking about what I needed to do when I got home.
I've noticed, however, that in the past year, this has drastically changed. I can honestly say during my yogasana practice my mind wanders less if at all. I'm completely focused on the asana at hand instead of worrying about what I'm doing after or what I still need to do. And how liberating it is. What a treat to have an hour to an hour and forty-five minutes to just be.
I've also started to move more slowly, more deliberately after practice. In the past, the class would end and I'd return to my go, go, go lifestyle, quickly rolling up my mat and returning my props, but now I've started to slow down, to take my time, and to interact with those around me. It's a small step but I think it's the beginning of being more in the moment off my mat, to take my yoga practice into my daily life.
“Since time is the one immaterial object which we cannot influence--neither speed up nor slow down, add to nor diminish--it is an imponderably valuable gift.”
- Maya Angelou
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment