Friday, March 12, 2010

It's All Happening

I rarely remember quotes from movies but, for some reason, this quote from Almost Famous is always somewhere in the back of my mind. It actually surprised me when it ran through my head the other day (I had to check imdb.com to verify it really was from a movie), but when I actually thought about the quote I guess it kind of makes sense why it popped into my head when it did because I do feel like it's all (or at least a lot is) happening (in a good way).

Last weekend my yoga teacher talked about identifying what we want. It's sometimes easier to make long lists of what we don't want because we've all probably experienced a bad relationship or a mismatched job, and from those experiences, we can hopefully understand what things we didn't like. To take it a step further, from that list, can we identify what we do want? It's really just another way of thinking positively.

His example was when it came time for him to buy a new car - once he decided what make, model, and color he wanted, it seemed all he saw on the road was that exact match. We've probably all had a similar experience, if not a car, then a pair of shoes, a puppy (can you tell what's on my mind?), or a new job. Lately I've been taking the time to outline what I'd like to see come to fruition. I'm a maker of lists so, I not only write these things down, but I also take time to think about what I've written and share my ideas with my family and friends. In the past, I wasn't as open, afraid people might think my ideas were stupid, but I've learned that there's nothing better than sharing my thoughts with others - they provide different perspectives and lots of moral support!

I should clarify, too, that I'm not just sitting around and waiting for these things to happen. In addition to identifying and thinking about what I want out of life, each day I take steps to reaching those things be it researching my options or taking another yoga class. Before, when I only knew what I didn't want, I didn't really know how to move forward. Now, I'm equipped with the knowledge of what I want and what I need to do to get there and it doesn't hurt that I take time to think about and discuss these things because sometimes just talking about them reveals so many other opportunities.

1 comment:

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by 2008

Back to TOP